- tobias.winkler at cs.rwth-aachen.de
- Room 4231
I am a PhD student in the Software Modeling and Verification Group headed by Professor Joost-Pieter Katoen. Moreover, I am an associated doctoral researcher in the research training group UnRAVel.
My research focuses on automatic formal analysis of discrete probabilistic systems, both from a theoretical and practical point of view. More specifically, my research interests include:
- Probabilistic Model Checking, in particular termination analysis and temporal properties of probabilistic pushdown systems, stochastic games with multiple objectives, general state-space reduction techniques, and parametric Markov models.
- Probabilistic Programs, in particular calculi for verifying potentially unbounded while-loops in probabilistic integer programs. More recently, my co-authors and me have studied more general Weighted Programs.
If you are interested in writing a Bachelor/Master’s thesis in any of the areas mentioned above, don’t hesitate to contact me. You can also check our list of open topics. I am currently supervising or have supervised the following thesis projects:
Ongoing thesis projects
- Inference in Probabilistic Programs using Probability Generating Functions (with Lutz Klinkenberg) – Master’s thesis.
- Conditioning in Recursive Probabilistic Programs (working title) – Master’s thesis.
- Automatic Entailment Checks for Weighted Programs (working title; with Kevin Batz) – Bachelor’s thesis.
- Probabilistic Belief Programming (working title; with Alex Bork) – Master’s thesis.
Past thesis projects
- Implementation of an LTL Model Checker for Probabilistic Pushdown Automata – Laura Bamberger, Bachelor’s thesis. 2022.
- Proving Termination of Probabilistic Recursive Programs via SMT-Solving – Leo Mommers, Bachelor’s thesis. 2022.
- Compositional Control-Flow Reduction for Probabilistic Model Checking – Leon Barth, Bachelor’s thesis. 2021.
- Automata-based Model Checking of Recursive Systems – Christina Gehnen, Bachelor’s thesis. 2020.
Christina has received an award from the Fachgruppe Informatik for her thesis.
- Formal Verification Meets Machine Learning (Seminar) WS21/22
- Modelling and Verification of Probabilistic Systems SS21
- Probabilistic Programming WS20/21
- Probabilistic Programming (Seminar) WS20/21
- Datenstrukturen und Algorithmen SS20
- Introduction to Program Analysis (Proseminar) SS20
- Our paper Generating Functions for Probabilistic Programs (joint work with Kevin Batz, Lutz Klinkenberg, Benjamin Lucien Kaminski, Joost-Pieter Katoen and Joshua Moerman) has received the best paper award at LOPSTR 2020.
- I was awarded the Springorum Medal in 2020 for receiving a master’s degree with distinction.
- Formal Methods in System Design 2021 (external reviewer)
- FoSSaCS 2021 (external reviewer)
- CAV 2021 (PC member Artifact Evaluation / external reviewer)
- CONCUR 2021 (external reviewer)
- POPL 2022 (external reviewer)
- CAV 2022 (PC member Artifact Evaluation / external reviewer)
- LICS 2022 (external reviewer)
- ICALP 2022 (external reviewer)
|[bibtex] [issue]||Tobias Winkler, Christina Gehnen, Joost-Pieter Katoen. Model Checking Temporal Properties of Recursive Probabilistic Programs, Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures 2022 (FoSSaCS 2022), Volume 13242 of LNCS, 449-469, Springer, 2022.|
|[bibtex] [issue]||Tobias Winkler, Johannes Lehmann, Joost-Pieter Katoen. Out of Control: Reducing Probabilistic Models by Control-State Elimination, 23rd International Conference on Verification, Model Checking, and Abstract Interpretation (VMCAI 2022), Volume 13182 of Theoretical Computer Science and General Issues, 450-472, Springer, 2022.|
|[bibtex] [issue]||Kevin Batz, Adrian Gallus, Benjamin Lucien Kaminski, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Tobias Winkler. Weighted programming: a programming paradigm for specifying mathematical models, Proceedings of the ACM on programming languages, pages 66, ACM, 2022.|
|[bibtex] [issue]||Lutz Klinkenberg, Kevin Batz, Benjamin Lucien Kaminski, Joost-Pieter Katoen, Joshua Moerman, Tobias Winkler. Generating Functions for Probabilistic Programs, 30th International Symposium on Logic-Based Program Synthesis and Transformation (LOPSTR2020), Volume 12561 of Theoretical Computer Science and General Issues, 231-248, Springer, 2021.|
|[bibtex] [issue]||Joost-Pieter Katoen, , Tobias Winkler. The complexity of reachability in parametric Markov decision processes, Journal of computer and system sciences 119, pages 183-210, Elsevier, 2021.,|
|[bibtex] [issue]||Tobias Winkler, . Stochastic Games with Disjunctions of Multiple Objectives, 12th International Symposium on Games, Automata, Logics and Formal Verification (GandALF), Volume 346 of EPTCS, 85-100, NICTA, 2021.|